After the success of the 880 Plus dust cover, it was time to do one for the Q20 longarm. I thought about the design a bit and two hours after starting to sew it, I decided to check the internet for ideas that others may have come up with. It’s then I saw Bernina made one. Just my luck. Then I saw that it wasn’t on the Bernina Australia website yet so I kept going, plus I wanted it to match the 880 one. The Bernina one is black and grey.
I’ve only found about 5 other longarm dust covers online but their design are very different to mine. Because the table is against the wall, I wanted to be able to easily put it on from the front. I didn’t want have to take the top of the thread stand off either. So it matched the other cover, I also wanted to use the 1/8th inch felt instead of batting inside. On top of the machine (above the screen) is a little tray with thread snips, quick unpick and other notions and I didn’t want to remove that each time the cover went on. As far as I could see on the Bernina cover, the foam pads on the thread stand weren’t covered (I may be wrong about that as I’ve only seen the one photo) and I wanted mine covered. I haven’t made a plan or kept a record of the measurements but I can give you an idea of the general construction.
With these goals in mind, the main cover had to be in two pieces and accommodate the thread stands. The back half was easy enough to make and extended past the back of the machine to go around the cord. Velcro was added along the front vertical sides so it could attach to the front half. That was easy enough to do. I didn’t put the felt in the back panel covering the cord and switch plate but it did have three thicknesses of fabric in there to give it a bit of substance.
The front had to be a bit taller and overlap the back half enough to cover the Velcro. There was a cutout for the horizontal thread stand and one for the vertical stands. This is where I could have done it a little differently but it’s worked out well so I can just pass this tip on to you.
Having thought about it today, I didn’t have to cut out that main section, I could have just popped two eyelets in the fabric where the spool stands are and created a U shaped slit around the large pole. Here’s what I did instead. This insert has a lot of excess around the edges to be hand sewn to the cutout area. I had to make it in two parts as there’s a flap at the back that tucks under the back slit. The piece of felt inside is one piece so it was a little tricky to insert but works perfectly.
A couple of important tips. To make the felt snug between the two layers of cheap white fabric and the feature fabric, I sewed a basting line along the edges with the zipper foot.
And now for the finished result. The felt hasn’t quite flattened out from being on the bolt at the fabric shop. I also made up covers for the thread stands. I even fussy cut the flower on the horizontal one.
This cover has taken about 10 days to do minus mowing the large yard and looking after the goat, etc. It has been a great challenge, more fiddly than anything and I’m so proud of it. I always think the hardest thing is to trust that you can do it. I highly recommend the design. I don’t think I’ll leave the thread stand covers on at all times as the main cover does a great job.
If you want any other information about the process or rough measurements, feel free to contact me and I’ll help you any way I can.
If you’ve come up with a cover design, please let me know, I’m interested in seeing how other people have made one.
Happy quarantine quilting,